Saturday, August 20, 2016

Dollhouse roof shingles

I started with sheets of black poster board then realized buying a stack of 8 1/2" x 11" black card stock would be less $.
I taped them together, then flipped them over.

Last week it hit me while at the craft store that I could use this stone spray instead of the painted sandpaper I had been prepping for my roof. After some deliberation I trashed what I had and started over.

I decided on black paper as the base because when you see a real shingle there is black underneath.

Here is the photo I took of the sprays. I had used these for full scale things before and forgotten about them.

I was put off because no matter what I did I couldn't get an even coverage. I have spray-painted many things in my life and always had even results. So not sure what is up with this stuff.
But it turned out for the best because I do prefer a roof with different shades of shingles.

First I cut 1" tall strips on their backs.

Then I measured every inch and cut a slit with a knife and then cut out with scissors.

Wood glue on the shape of my roof piece.

I marked a scrap board at 1/2" to be sure each line is equal.

As I got to the top I checked my lines to be sure I was even with another scrap of paper.

Once its dry I flipped it over and trimmed it.

Then I used those scraps in the top lines.

Glued the sections on with wood glue!

I didn't stager the discolorations on the left side. So I have started to break apart the strips now so the discoloration isn't so uniform.

The corners will be white trim. Lot's more to do!

The tower will be scalloped tiles.

1 comment: