I wanted an old fireplace in the attic that looks as if they refurbished it while updating the old home.
I used mat board, card stock, and wood glue. I sanded the mat board to get my curved edging.
I cut off a piece of jewelry finding for the accent.
I used a little wood filler for the paper edges and then sanded.
I mixed light-grey and black acrylic craft paint and painted the inside black.
Layering card stock makes a nice thick rail edge. The bars are painted wire. I placed them in with Tacky Glue on each end with tweezers and pushed them behind the rails.
I printed my tiles and glued onto mat board with Mod Podge.
I created the grout area with a ball stylus.
Coated with satin varnish. Just a little at a time so the ink wouldn't run.
I'm diggin' it!
Give it a try! With each one you make they will get better and better. This one was my first...
1st Victorian fireplace