Thursday, November 10, 2016

Dollhouse doors

Making doors

I drew my design on mat board.

I used left over picture mats. I cut the inside bevel out and put it on the door panels.

Then filled in the gaps the best I could with wood filler. Sand, paint, sand, paint and so on!

Make a dollhouse door hinge

See door hinge tutorial here.

Use wood glue to glue paper hinge on one side to your door. It's really important to be sure it dries completely before you go any further. But once it's tacky slip your finger inside the hinge and give it extra press down.

Put glue on the back of the hinge and slip a small piece of wax paper between the hinge.  Be sure the glossy side is against the glued section of the hinge.

Put the door into the door hole and press the hinge side against the inside molding. This part is tricky and it really will depend on your door design and your molding design. Use a wedge if needed until the glue has set. I use toothpicks here but folded paper would be better so you don't leave an indent from the pressure.

I had one hinge that didn't take when I used three on my side door shown below, so I had to just leave it because the other two were still attached. So for the rest of my doors I only used two hinges.

Oops this was my first door. As you can see the hinges are suppose to be on the inside! Pay attention before you put your doors in Auralea!

The front doors were very involved. There was a lot of trail and error so I didn't take too many how-to photos.

The stained glass inserts were a lot of steps.
Basically I used acetate film that has a matt and glossy side. (I have a vintage stack of it not sure what it is, 8.5 x 11 transparency film maybe?)
Trace design lines in black on the matt side (I think, now I can't remember). Then use what ever maker works for color on the gloss side. I used Golden medium gloss for the texture and Golden medium matt for the white. Then I put it behind a thicker piece of acetate.

They are close to how I wanted them. So I think I will find a way to be happy with them.

Now onto the front door roof over-hang with fancy brackets!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Seasonal serving plates

I have made these five pieces for fall
Add a touch of autumn in your special little world this fall. These are a great addition to a Thanksgiving or Christmas celebration.

These 1:12-scale serving plates were hand-sculpted and hand-painted.
Fimo, Liquitex acrylic, and Glaze. Gold paint has a white-wash.

Autumn Leaf Plate I
1 1/2” long

Autumn Leaf Plate II
1 3/3” long

Acorn Plate
1 1/2” long

Pumpkin Plate I
1 1/4” wide

Pumpkin Plate II
1 1/8” wide

Pumpkin Plate III
1 1/4” wide

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Dollhouse roof shingles

I started with sheets of black poster board then realized buying a stack of 8 1/2" x 11" black card stock would be less $.
I taped them together, then flipped them over.

Last week it hit me while at the craft store that I could use this stone spray instead of the painted sandpaper I had been prepping for my roof. After some deliberation I trashed what I had and started over.

I decided on black paper as the base because when you see a real shingle there is black underneath.

Here is the photo I took of the sprays. I had used these for full scale things before and forgotten about them.

I was put off because no matter what I did I couldn't get an even coverage. I have spray-painted many things in my life and always had even results. So not sure what is up with this stuff.
But it turned out for the best because I do prefer a roof with different shades of shingles.

First I cut 1" tall strips on their backs.

Then I measured every inch and cut a slit with a knife and then cut out with scissors.

Wood glue on the shape of my roof piece.

I marked a scrap board at 1/2" to be sure each line is equal.

As I got to the top I checked my lines to be sure I was even with another scrap of paper.

Once its dry I flipped it over and trimmed it.

Then I used those scraps in the top lines.

Glued the sections on with wood glue!

I didn't stager the discolorations on the left side. So I have started to break apart the strips now so the discoloration isn't so uniform.

The corners will be white trim. Lot's more to do!

The tower will be scalloped tiles.